When I left Japan over a few months ago. I thought I reached my peak of language study. I felt really burnt out. Even before I went to Korea for a short trip, I couldn't be bothered brushing up my Korean skills. That was really weird because before a trip to a foreign country with a national language other than English, I usually go on cram mode to learn that country's language. I even did that for German back in '08 before going to Austria and Germany (and I can't stand German, sorry I really don't mean to offend any German speaking people.) I went to Hong Kong a few weeks ago and I wasn't in the mood to speak Cantonese or Mandarin, unimagible considering Chinese is my favorite language. I wonder what happened...
Well that's a thing of the past now because I'm back on track. I've been updating my language blog, which is simply a smorgasbord of random information. (Let's see how long I can keep this up before I get lazy.) Now, I'm facing the opposite problem: deciding which language to study. Right now, I'm dying to get my Korean level to functional, but right now it really seems like a waste of time... only because I feel that I should really concentrate on getting my Japanese and Mandarin to a level where I can use it for work.
Perhaps I'm not feeling the drive to learn Mandarin now because I still haven't found a job in Shanghai. I'm trying to think back when I applied for jobs in Japan and how long it took for them to arrange an interview with me. I think it took about a month at least. Well, I still have my fingers crossed, and I'm hoping I won't face the same kind of discrimination a friend faced when searching for a job before.
Mandarin, a stream of syllables with meaning
13 years ago



2 comments:
19 May 2010 at 7:57 pm
Hey, I didn't know you left. Anyway, you got your 1級 so your Japanese is considered to be at a professional level suitable for long-term work in Japan. A lot of working people have only 2級, like me!
22 May 2010 at 8:42 pm
Hey Keith. I guess I'm technically qualified to work at a professional level, I just have my doubts. I guess I won't know until I try.
Post a Comment