Reaching a Milestone in Japanese Language Learning

I did it!

After almost 10 years of studying Japanese...

I finally passed Level 1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

However, this really is only just the beginning.

I don't really know where this will take me. Back in high school I wanted to teach Japanese (and Chinese) in high school, but after my experiences here in Japan, I'm not so keen on taking that road. It could be different, after all I won't be and ALT, I will be a teacher, and compulsory foreign language education is only for the 1st years, meaning I don't really have to teach students who don't want to learn Japanese or Chinese.

Then again I could probably take a course in translation or interpretation, but I'm not sure there are many jobs available in that field.

The ultimate dream job would be a teaching job at a university, but a PhD takes too long to get...

On the bright side, I have achieved a goal that back then seemed so out of reach. Hopefully this goal will open up new opportunities.

I barely passed! That was a real close call.

3 comments:

  Unknown

10 February 2010 at 4:42 pm

嗨,Nick:
我是Lang-8的Mei,希望你沒忘記我。謝謝你幫我修改我的英文日記。另外, 我記得你好像對漢字非常有興趣, 這裡有一個網站介紹漢字的中文‧日語‧韓語‧粵語‧‧‧等發音,給你參考一下。

http://emich.world.coocan.jp/kanji/kanji.html

Mei

  Keith

13 February 2010 at 4:39 am

Wow, this is big news! I didn't realize you had a blogspot blog!

Hey now you can call yourself fluent in Japanese and advise everybody that it only takes 10 years. :)

By the way, was it 10 years of continuous study or did you take a break? I take breaks, so... you know.

  Sen & Cents

26 February 2010 at 1:05 am

hi~ I came across your youtube video by chance, and decided to pop by your blog. I'm also into learning languages, so it's great to find someone who enjoys the same thing as I do.

Anyway, congrats for your results! I took the JLPT 1 as well, but I've not gotten my results yet~